Have you already registered for the workshop?
Welcome! Your workshop starts now!
During the preparation phase of the workshop, you’ll complete your book reading, read about certification and ethics, fill out the pretest, and hopefully take the Childbirth Education for Professionals class. If you have time, here are projects you can do now or later to begin your doula practice.
Your space is confirmed when the registration form and payment have been received. You will be emailed a confirmation letter with details about the training. If you do not hear from me within a few days, please contact me again.
Here are the three documents you’ll need to download.
- Pretest: Unlike a traditional test, the pretest has opinion questions as well as knowledge questions. It helps me to get to know you better and communicates what I expect you to know. People usually enjoy the exercise and find it a great way to feel prepared. You can type in answers or do it by hand. Complete instructions on where to send it and when it is due are in your confirmation letter. [Download Test (Word)]
- DONA Birth Doula Certification Requirements: This pdf document outlines the requirements for birth doula certification, estimated costs, reading list options and frequently asked questions (FAQs) from DONA International [Download File]. For more detailed information about certification or to have any questions answered, please go to www.dona.org.
- Read the DONA International Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics (pdf) for birth doulas. Think of two questions you have and bring them with you to the workshop.
- (optional) “The Modern Role of the Professional Doula” Article by Amy L. Gilliland: This article, written when I was just beginning my research, discusses the doula’s role, how nurses and doulas get along, strategies for preventing conflict, and birth plans. It will help you to understand the perspective that doulas need to adopt to be effective and major issues that doulas face in independent practice. It continues to be my most cited article even years after it’s publication. [Download File]
- (Optional) You may be interested in reading some posts on my Blog, Doulaing The Doula.
Directions to the Madison meeting location: Madison trainings are held at Promega BTC Events Center at 5445 East Cheryl Parkway in Fitchburg/South Madison. It is connected to the Madison Bike Path system from both the east and west sides of Madison. There is a bike rack in front of the building although it does not have a rain cover. The city bus system route 40, 47, and 49 stops two blocks away on weekdays. On weekends the closest stop is bus route 40 by Fish Hatchery Road and County Road PD (confirm the bus route).
If you are staying somewhere else in Madison and wish to estimate the driving time, ask how far it is to the Fish Hatchery Road exit on the Beltline. Then add five minutes to their estimate.
Lodging Information: The closest hotels to the workshop site are the Wyndham Garden Inn (has built in restaurant), 2969 Cahill Main, Madison/Fitchburg, (608) 274-7200; and the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham (has free breakfast), 5421 Caddis Bend, Fitchburg, (608) 271-3400. Both are less than a five minute drive and offer a FREE shuttle service to the meeting location at Promega, the Dane County airport and local restaurants and attractions. The hotels are next to five restaurants and a full service grocery store.
I look forward to seeing you at the workshop!
The pretest and pre-workshop assignments are essential. They were very helpful to organize my thoughts and prepare me for this intensive workshop.