Have you already registered for the online workshop?
Welcome! Your workshop starts now!
Your space is confirmed when the registration form and payment have been received. You will be emailed a confirmation letter with details about the training. If you do not hear from me within a few days, please contact me again. During the preparation phase of the workshop, you’ll complete your book reading, read about certification and ethics, watch some videos, fill out the pretest, and hopefully take the Childbirth Education for Professionals class. If you have time, here are projects you can do now or later to begin your doula practice.
Here are the three documents you’ll need to download.
- Pretest: Unlike a traditional test, the pretest has opinion questions as well as knowledge questions. It helps me to get to know you better and communicates what I expect you to know. People usually enjoy the exercise and find it a great way to feel prepared. You can type in answers or do it by hand. Complete instructions on where to send it and when it is due are in your confirmation letter. [Download Test (Word)]
- DONA Birth Doula Certification Requirements: This pdf document outlines the requirements for birth doula certification, estimated costs, reading list options and frequently asked questions (FAQs) from DONA International [Download File]. For more detailed information about certification or to have any questions answered, please go to www.dona.org.
- Read the DONA International Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics (pdf) for birth doulas. Think of two questions you have and bring them with you to the workshop.
- DONA International’s Leadership Team is asking that workshop participants understand some key historical events that affect how patients experience their perinatal care. They recommend viewing these two videos by Vox: “How The US Health Care System Is Still Haunted By Slavery” (9 mins) and “The Culture War Between Physicians and Midwives” (6 mins). You may also enjoy this video on how “Midwives Address Health Disparities” (10 mins). These videos may be triggering for people of color whose lives are affected by these issues. Please use self care strategies if you choose to watch – breathing, grounding, ‘pleasure’ triggers close by (pets, blankets, a pretty view, etc).
- (optional) Are you considering having your own independent doula business? If so, you may be interested in completing the DTD Marketing Exercise. People who complete all six steps of the exercise may participate in a Mastermind on the last day of the course, getting input from other people in their training. Here are the first four questions on the exercise, which you can complete before the training. You’ll be given the rest in your training manual. You’ll also want to set aside a half hour to complete the last two steps on your own before Day 4. Want to know more? Here’s a two minute video explaining the exercise.
- (optional) An important topic in perinatal care today is the issue of racial disparities in birth outcomes and racism in health care. If you don’t know much about this, you may enjoy reading the O magazine article, “Getting Sick While Black“.
- (optional) “The Modern Role of the Professional Doula” Article by Amy L. Gilliland: This article, written when I was just beginning my research, discusses the doula’s role, how nurses and doulas get along, strategies for preventing conflict, and birth plans. It will help you to understand the perspective that doulas need to adopt to be effective and major issues that doulas face in independent practice. It continues to be my most cited article even years after it’s publication. [Download File]
- (optional) You may be interested in reading some posts on my Blog, Doulaing The Doula.
Additional Preparation For Online Workshop Participants
- Fill out the Getting To Know You Better” form on Google. This helps me to know more about you as an individual so I can tailor what I present to the group. I like to know YOU which is one of the ways I doula you through the process. If I don’t know your hopes, dreams, and experiences I can’t do that nearly as effectively! This form also confirms your shipping address and awareness of the course policies. (10 minutes)
- Your Doulaing The Doula Box of training supplies is sent once you have paid in full. Boxes are shipped GROUND twice a week from Madison, Wisconsin. Please plan your payments to make sure you leave enough time to receive your box before the training! Two and three day shipping are possible if payment is made ahead of time via PayPal or Square. Once the box is shipped, there are NO refunds for the training. See Course Policies for all options.
- Plan your learning space. This training will hopefully change your life! Invest in your future by optimizing your environment ahead of time. Make sure you have strong wifi signal.
- Part of my approach is for you to use the resources you have around you to enhance your learning. This is an important doula skill in labor support too! One of the resources is a person to be your “learning helper” to practice labor support skills. Here’s a pdf explaining their role.
- Once your Doulaing The Doula Box arrives, you’ll need to put together your binder with tabs (video explaining how).
- Create accounts on Google Drive (gmail), Zoom, and Padlet. We will be using these technologies to communicate with one another. Padlet is like a gigantic wall where you place sticky notes. Here is an example.
I look forward to getting to know you more at the workshop!