Why do we have a recertification process?
We’re a community, we want to know what you’re up to.
Keeping up on current topics is important; things change.
We want to reinforce that self awareness and reflection are key to cultivating a doula’s emotional intelligence.
If there’s a grievance involving you, we want to have more frequent contact.
How does DTD Recertification work?
Recertification happens on the second and fourth anniversaries of your initial certification. Then you are certified for life. Our recertification process is designed to help you to cultivate good habits: continuing education and reflective practice. It’s designed to keep us in touch with you and your joys and challenges as you grow. After five years together, we figure you’ve matured into a seasoned doula.
Months before July 2021: Completed Childbirth for Professionals and Birth Doula Training Workshop
July 2021: Begin certification program
June 2022: achieve initial certification (good for two years)
June 2024: recertify; (good for two years)
June 2026: recertify and receive lifetime certification
When I recertify every two years, what do I need to do?
1. Update us on your accomplishments and current feelings about birth work – no more than one to two pages.
2. Obtain 16 CE’s on topics related to birth doula work anytime in the two year period. Show by submitting a certificate of attendance with your name on it.
3. Submit two to three birth stories and “Reflection After A Birth” sheets for the review committee to read.
If you didn’t attend any births, but you or your intimate life partner had a pregnancy, you can share with us how that experience changed how you see labor support.
If you didn’t attend any births, you may substitute three intentional conversations you had with people about their births. Summarize for us what you learned from listening to each person.
4. Pay the fee.
How much does recertification cost?
The cost is $100.00. $30.00 pays for the online directory listing for two years; the rest goes to your packet reader. If you don’t want to be in the directory, we will put your funds towards the scholarship program.
- Your renewal certificate, written and electronic
- Letter from your packet reader
- More DTD swag – cuz it’s fun!
After recertifying twice, you receive your lifetime certificate! No more renewals!