Introduction to Childbirth Course for Professionals
A GREAT way to get started on YOUR doula path or learn more as a professional!
This course has been rated 4.99 out of 5 by ALL participants!
- Designed to meet the learning needs of doulas rather than parents, it covers the basic childbirth information you need to know to get started as a doula.
- Full of learning activities, videos, indepth and detailed information you won’t find elsewhere.
- Participants receive context for childbirth today, examining the political, racial, social and psychological aspects of birthing and being born, not just the biology.
- Based on my 30 years of attending births and 25 years teaching adults, you receive a lot of value for your investment!
Advantages of this workshop over childbirth classes for parents:
- In a traditional birth class for parents, your role is only to observe. You don’t get to ask questions.
- This course includes greater depth and detailed information than you’ll receive in a course for parents.
- Lots of exercises and activities you can do with your clients!
- It includes a 50+ page manual of handouts to use with clients (electronic and paper).
- It is targeted to your emotional preparation to be labor support professionals, not on preparing you to be parents.
- We will discuss how to teach concepts to parents during prenatal visits.
- Compared to most childbirth classes, this course is priced competitively.
- Everyone who has taken this course has loved what they learned and how they learned it!
Topics that will be covered:
- A review of the anatomy of the reproductive system
- Physiology of pregnancy, birth, postpartum, and breastfeeding
- Review common tests given during pregnancy
- Definition of medical terms regarding labor
- Common procedures and tests used during normal birth; their risks and benefits
- Narcotic pain medication administration and effects
- Epidural pain medication administration and effects
- Birth from the newborn’s perspective
- Basic relaxation techniques, breathing patterns, and comfort measures for labor
- Positions for first and second stage of labor
- Postpartum Expectations
It is assumed that participants will have read a recently published, high quality pregnancy book. Pregnancy, Childbirth and The Newborn or The Mother of All Pregnancy Books (2nd ed), or The Simple Guide To Having A Baby. Detailed preparation information can be found here.
What if I don’t know if I want to take a doula training. Can I still take this class?
You are welcome to attend even if you are not interested in doula training. Some people attend because they are trying to figure out if they’re interested! For others this is really helpful information to have for their career, or they are just curious to learn about childbirth.
Does the information in the Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas course overlap with the Doula Training Workshop?
No, this childbirth class focuses on giving you information you need to feel well versed in basic pregnancy and childbirth issues. The doula training focuses on developing support skills to use during different situations you’ll encounter as a doula, nurse and midwife.
When should I take this workshop?
You can take this course before or after your doula training workshop.
I’ve already taken a birth doula training from another instructor. Can I still take this course?
Everyone is welcome to take the Introduction to Childbirth course whether they are taking a doula workshop with another instructor, training organization, or simply want the general pregnancy and birth knowledge this course offers.
Where can I find out the dates for the Introduction To Childbirth for Doulas Course and register?
Visit our Upcoming Workshops page!
Feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns you might have: or call 608-225-4738.
This has been a wonderful experience to help me clarify my values and re-energize my confidence that I can do it