Introduction to Childbirth Course for Doulas
A GREAT way to get started on YOUR doula path!
This course has been rated 4.99 out of 5 by ALL participants!
- Designed to meet the learning needs of doulas rather than parents, it covers the basic childbirth information you need to know to get started as a doula.
- Full of learning activities, videos, indepth and detailed information you won’t find elsewhere.
- Based on my 30 years of attending births and 25 years teaching adults, you receive a lot of value for your investment!
Advantages of this workshop over childbirth classes for parents:
- In a traditional birth class for parents, your role is only to observe. You don’t get to ask questions.
- This course includes greater depth and detailed information than you’ll receive in a course for parents.
- Lots of exercises and activities you can do with your clients!
- It includes a 50+ page manual of handouts to use with clients (electronic and paper).
- It is targeted to your emotional preparation to be labor support professionals, not on preparing you to be parents.
- We will discuss how to teach concepts to parents during prenatal visits.
- Compared to most childbirth classes, this course is priced competitively.
- Everyone who has taken this course has loved what they learned and how they learned it!
Topics that will be covered:
- A review of the anatomy of the reproductive system
- Physiology of pregnancy, birth, postpartum, and breastfeeding
- Review common tests given during pregnancy
- Definition of medical terms regarding labor
- Common procedures and tests used during normal birth; their risks and benefits
- Narcotic pain medication administration and effects
- Epidural pain medication administration and effects
- Birth from the newborn’s perspective
- Basic relaxation techniques, breathing patterns, and comfort measures for labor
- Positions for first and second stage of labor
- Postpartum Expectations
It is assumed that participants will have read Pregnancy, Childbirth and The Newborn or The Mother of All Pregnancy Books (2nd ed), and have begun to read The Birth Partner. You will also be emailed some brief assignments to bring with you to the class.
What to Bring
- Please bring your own lunch, beverages, and snacks.
- Bring your copy of Pregnancy, Childbirth and The Newborn or The Mother of All Pregnancy Books.
- Because people are comfortable at different temperatures, it is a good idea to dress in layers. Dress for practicing labor positions on the floor.
- Bring what you need to feel comfortable (pillows, knitting, etc) in a classroom setting.
- Please bring TWO bed pillows with you for labor practice.
- Because of potential allergies to other participants, please avoid wearing perfume or essential oils.
Cancellations will be accepted without penalty 14 days before the workshop. Refunds will be by check. Within 14 days, refunds are at the discretion of the instructor. It depends on the location of the class, how many other students are attending and so forth.
What if I don’t know if I want to take a doula training. Can I still take this class?
You are welcome to attend even if you are not interested in doula training. Some people attend because they are trying to figure out if they’re interested! This is a great class to help answer that question.
Does the information in the Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas course overlap with the Doula Training Workshop?
No, this childbirth class focuses on giving you information you need to feel well versed in basic pregnancy and childbirth issues. The doula training focuses on developing support skills to use during different situations you’ll encounter as a doula, nurse and midwife.
When should I take this workshop?
You can take this course before or after your doula training workshop. However, DONA prefers that it be within the same calendar year if you are applying for certification. For more information about DONA’s childbirth education requirement, click here (pdf). If you are not interested in certification with DONA, the timing doesn’t matter.
I’ve already taken a birth doula training from another instructor. Can I still take this course?
Everyone is welcome to take the Introduction to Childbirth course whether they are taking a doula workshop with another instructor, training organization, or simply want the general pregnancy and birth knowledge this course offers.
Where can I find out the dates for the Introduction To Childbirth for Doulas Course and register?
Visit our Upcoming Workshops page!
Feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns you might have: or call 608-225-4738.
This has been a wonderful experience to help me clarify my values and re-energize my confidence that I can do it